" //other

Dienstag, 28. Februar 2017

ON THE BLOG: Bold and Beautiful Murals by Muzai

ON THE BLOG: Bold and Beautiful Murals by Muzai:

Human nature and connection are the focus of Muzai’s work. Bold compositions, a confident colour palette and a sensitive approach make Muzai’s murals truly charismatic. In this interview, Muzai tells us about his creative process, motives for making work and ambitions for the future!

large_txt_eztfumPlease tell us a little bit about yourself!
My name is Fabricio Alves, my artist name is  Muzai. I’m 48 and live in Uberlândia, Minas Gerais, Brasil.large_txt_297n34fHow long have you been making art? How did you start?
I worked as a photographer for a long time, since I studied Arts at university in 1994. A few years ago  I made a connection to graffiti when I saw the wall colours that transformed the grey urban panorama in the city of São Paulo. I was passing through a phase of personal difficulties and got back to drawing like I used to do in my childhood, when I loved drawing comic characters. From there came the characters that mark my work today.large_txt_3ydol6t

Painting on the street is a lot different to paper – how did you make this transition? Once I got back to drawing I already imagined how the figures would be inserted in the walls. My whole creation was always made in large spaces. I usually take photos of the locals to be painted, and use Photoshop to facilitate the integration between the real and virtual.

large_txt_trswbu

Do you do legal or illegal pieces?
Currently my main job is focused on legal pieces, Muralism. I prefer to do a projected and studied work so I can have a better aesthetic result at the end.

large_txt_11uaj6

Who do you paint for?
I have done commercial work for companies, houses and schools. I also often do personal paintings, like meetings of street art collectives, workshops in underprivileged  institutions, and paint murals in places with good visibility in urban space.

What styles/materials/techniques inspire you?
I like characters. The human dimension is very rich, and people identify with characters quickly. I like this connection. My subject is the human being; I like to work with characters, mixed techniques and various inks including spray paint, acrylic paints, stencils and adhesive tapes.

large_txt_353t2w8

How does location affect how you work/what you paint?
My theme is always the human figure, on any surface or support. Sometimes when I produce commercial paintings I may adapt what I paint for the activity in question. I have also adapted the format of characters to the type and conditions of the wall to be painted. So, before I start working, whenever possible I like to go personally to the place to analyse the whole scene.

large_txt_vv7x0o

If resources were no issue, what would you create/do?
I would like to make a big mural on a large building, in a city like London or Berlin.

Where is the best place in the world to be a graffiti artist?
In most of Europe’s cities, I believe that urban visual culture is more appreciated which creates better conditions and a greater advantage for the artist.

large_txt_3myqj9k

What life experiences led you to the work you do now?
I believe that every human being has a mission in this life. I have reasons to believe that I was led into this way of life by spiritual forces. After working for several years with photography, I got involved in a professional activity that didn’t fit my personality. This led me to a strong personal and professional conflict. That’s where I rediscovered drawing and consequently painting. It came to me as a simple therapy, in an innocent and unintentional way and turned into something big that changed the course of my life.

screen-shot-2017-02-06-at-11-54-09 screen-shot-2017-02-06-at-11-54-55 screen-shot-2017-02-06-at-11-54-45

What else have you been up to recently? What are your plans for the future?
Recently, I did some interventions using spray on scrap in three-dimensional sculptures. I also made a series of pretty silkscreen prints. In addition, there’s a demand for custom works of painting on canvas, which I have developed in parallel to my wall paintings. About the future, I hope to continue with this same line reaching new cities and people who align with my artistic style.

large_txt_naq4dfDo you have any other projects/goals aside from in graffiti/street art?
At the moment all my projects involve graffiti and street art. What I’ve done and would like to continue doing is to develop a work of art education with poor children from the outskirts of big cities, using art as a factor of transformation in those people’s lives.

Thanks Muzai!

All images courtesy of Muzai
Check out more of Muzai’s work on our website:
http://ift.tt/1RaL4Xl



by via GLOBAL STREET ART

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen