" //other

Freitag, 28. Mai 2021

THE ART OF TAGGING WITH JAY, CRY GI

Jay CRY GI is one of the prominent names in the Barcelona tagging scene. Following the photo report featuring his crew-mate Iser, we wanted to unite another duo of local lads to demonstrate the potential of the MTN Street Dabbers, Street Paint and Street Ink. Though the analog images of Pol Renom – another fan of the fundamentals of street culture – we can appreciate the craft of the artist against a Barcelona backdrop.


Can you tell us who you are and where you come from?
I’d better not.

‘We should stop differentiating between local and international scene, there are good people everywhere.’

Where does your motivation to tag come from?
I’ve always been into tagging. There have been good times and bad ones, with some pauses in between. But since the end of 2003, when I started painting, I’ve always done tags.

When you look at a tag, what do you appreciate? What do you try to apply to your own tags?
What I appreciate the most is the flow and versatility of the writer to surfaces and tools. In my case, what I’m looking for has more to do with repetition and simplicity. I tend to avoid extravagant and excessive adornments, I just write my letters and, at most, a couple of dots.

‘I prefer not to have spectators, but during the curfew there was no other way. The modus operandi changed radically and we had to adapt to the constant presence of passers-by.’

For you, who are your references in tagging, both on the local and international scene?
We should stop differentiating between local and international scene, there are good people everywhere. I pay a lot of attention to crews and I could tell you that among the ones that interest me the most are 246, BTM, IRAK, PNG and VTS.

What are your favorite tools?
A good mop and our homemade silver ink.

How do you prepare to go out bombing? Do you go out with the sole intention of painting, or are you always prepared with a marker to take advantage of visits to new neighborhoods?
Both. I go out to paint, but I always carry something with me to get up. Depending on what I’m going to do during the day, I take one thing or another.

Is there a strategy involved in the locations you choose?
It is always the same strategy: wherever you go, go undercover.

How do you consider the reaction of the general public to the tagging phenomenon? Do you interact with people or do you prefer not to have spectators?
People generally don’t like tagging and I understand them, even though I don’t share their opinion. People are more likely to confront you if you don’t look confident, but if you’re calm and do your thing, they tend to pass you by.
I prefer not to have spectators, but during the curfew there was no other way. The modus operandi changed radically and we had to adapt to the constant presence of passers-by.

Do you have personal taboos on where I would leave a tag?
I don’t tag vans that don’t have any other marks on already.

Is tagging an art?
It’s graffiti.

Feeling inspired? You can find our full range of pre-filled and refillable markers, paints and inks on our website.



by admin via Montana World

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen